Fundraiser for convicted paramedics tops £15k

Islanders have donated more than £15,000 to a crowdfunding appeal set up to help two Jersey paramedics fight their recent conviction.

John Sutherland and Tom Le Sauteur were found guilty of failing to provide reasonable care to a patient who suffered a cardiac arrest while they were at his home in March 2022.

Following an eight-day trial last month, the Royal Court found the pair had unreasonably delayed treatment of the 39 year old while they waited for the police back-up they had requested because of his aggressive behaviour.

The judge said the ambulance workers should have reacted more quickly to changes in his condition. 

READ MORE: Ambulance Chief apologises after staff found guilty of neglectful care

Chloe Wallser set up an online fundraiser this week, saying the money would help the pair with the burden of ongoing legal fees, as well as send a strong message of 'unwavering support' for the paramedics: "Tom and John deserve better. They deserve to be back on the job, serving our community. They shouldn't be battling crippling legal fees on top of the emotional toll of this ordeal."

The fundraiser is aiming to raise £20,000 to support the suspended paramedics.  So far, it's raised just almost 80% of that target, in just 2 days. 

Contributors have left messages too, with one saying, "No matter what colour your frontline stripe is, we should all be able to call for back up. We are your back up now."

Another reads: "Two of the best people I have ever worked with and who I would want to be there for my family if they needed them! Keep fighting!"

Over a hundred people have gathered for a protest at Jersey Ambulance Station to express their solidarity with two ambulance workers who were found guilty in court this week of failing to take reasonable care of a patient.

Posted by Channel 103 on Friday, June 28, 2024

Following the court verdict last week, more than 100 people attended a protest,  where many raised concerns the decision sets a dangerous precedent for healthcare workers putting themselves in harm's way to help others. 

READ MORE: Paramedic convictions risk 'massive repercussions' for Jersey emergency care

Dr Kirstie Ross, who works in the hospital's Emergency Department, was among the protesters who turned out.

She told Channel 103 that believes the paramedics were only "keeping themselves safe" and doing as they were trained to do.

Addressing the crowd, she said: "Any medic knows that the first thing we are taught is 'is it safe for us to approach?' and it wasn't. We need to make sure it is because we're no use to anyone if we get hurt ourselves."

Mr Sutherland and Mr Le Sauteur remain suspended from duty, as they have been since the death, pending an internal Ambulance Service investigation.

More from Jersey News from Channel 103

Just Played Songs

Weather Forecast

  • Sun

    18°C

  • Mon

    18°C

  • Tue

    20°C

  • Wed

    19°C

  • Thu

    19°C

DAB+ & 107.7 FM in Jersey
soleilradio.com
Channel 103 & Island FM apps
'Alexa, play Soleil Radio'